SANParks: No formal notice to strike

ANParks Chief Executive Officer Fundisile Mketeni said the country’s conservation and tourism leader has not received a formal notice of the imminent strike. PHOTO: Allan Bower
ANParks Chief Executive Officer Fundisile Mketeni said the country’s conservation and tourism leader has not received a formal notice of the imminent strike. PHOTO: Allan Bower

THE South African National Parks (SANParks) says it has not received a formal notice that its employees affiliated to the Health and Other Service Personnel Trade Union of South Africa (HOSPERSA) intend to go on strike. This follows a negotiation deadlock between SANParks and the union over salary increases.

SANParks Chief Executive Officer Fundisile Mketeni said the country’s conservation and tourism leader has not received a formal notice of the imminent strike from HOSPERSA, in terms of the Labour Relations Act.

Mketeni said the news of the strike came as a surprise because the meeting has not yet taken place.

“Should the union continue with its threats, employees who decide to embark on strike action will not be allowed to picket on SANParks’ premises without an agreement or permission. In an effort to resolve the impasse, we further urge the union to accept management’s offer of 6 per cent plus 1 per cent pay progress, which totals to a 7 per cent adjustment since negotiations were concluded,” he said.

Read Also: Five highest mountain to hike in SA

In its statement, HOSPERSA insinuated that a profit amounting to R1.29 billion was realised in the last financial year, therefore a 9 per cent salary increase in their view is warranted.

“We would like to put it on record that the union should take cognisance of the operational overheads which include staff remunerations, conservation operations and tourism plant maintenance among many of SANParks’ financial commitments,” Mketeni said.

Read Also: Eco-warriors win first SA climate change case

Despite HOSPERSA’s pronouncement that all operations will be disrupted at various parks, SANParks reassured members of the public that in the event of a strike, contingency plans will be activated to ensure that service is not interrupted and visitors are safe.

“We hope that sanity will prevail and our employees will not heed the HOSPERSA call,” Mketeni said.

 

Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter to keep up-to-date with local news or send us your name on WhatsApp: at 060 532 5532.

  AUTHOR
Northglen News

find your
dream home

looking for an
affordable
apartment

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News

COMMENTS

highwaymail  bereamail getit Autodealer.co.za
Top
Next Story x
One injured in North Coast Road crash

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

SUBSCRIBE
to our free NEWSLETTER
!
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

Berea Mail
Highway Mail
Northglen News


Your details:


Your friends:

I didn't sign up for this
I'd like to see and read more... (Please indicate in comments section below)
I'm relocating (Please indicate where to)
Other